False news, Police dismisses reports on killers’ motorcycles
The new Police spokesperson Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIGP), Asan Kasingye has dismissed as false news reports that the Police had obtained the motorcycles that were used by assassins who gunned down three policemen last month including Andrew Felix Kaweesi.
The ‘false-news’ report was published Bukedde on Sunday April 2, 2017.
Kasingye said: “I totally don’t agree with the way some of the media houses, especially the Bukedde newspaper, have reported that the motorcycles used by the killers have been found. I want Bukkedde to tell me who gave them this photo and where those motorcycles are right now,” he added.
According to Kasingye, the pictures shown were of two old motorcycles which had not been running in the last three years.
Kasingye called the ‘fake news’ is causing unnecessary panic among the public and “sabotaging our investigations.”
Kasingye reports threats
Meanwhile, hardly a week after he was named at the Police Spokesperson replacing assassinated former Assistant Inspector General of Police Andrew Felix Kaweesi, Asan Kasingye has also reported receiving threats.
Kasingye says told journalists that someone identified as John Kagimu made a telephone call to him warning him and the police leadership about showing images of suspects.
Kasingye said: “Kagimu, stop threatening me because threatening somebody is against the law,” he said.
Responding to journalists inquiries about whether Police is planning to arrest Kagimu, Kasingye left many guessing by saying “Watch this space”