USD17.6m Ebola Plan Launched
The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization (WHO) have launched a new Ebola action plan that is set to cost 17.6 million dollars
Dr Jane Ruth Aceng, the Minister of Health, told journalists in Kampala on July 12 that the plan covers months from June-September 2019.
The new plan comes after the expiry of the first one on June 11. It had run from September 2018 to June 2019.
Aceng said: “This year’s action plan is set to cover areas of preparedness, coordinate leadership, surveillance, community mobilization case management and infection control, wash services among others.”
She said that the biggest proportion of the funds would be got from donors as government had already secure UGX 1.43bn.
The WHO country representative to Uganda, Dr Yonas Tegegn, said Uganda was not yet Ebola free until the elapse of 42 days since the last infection case was managed in Kasese.
He said: “As long as there is Ebola in Congo we cannot declare Uganda Ebola free as it is on a high risk given the geography and free movements between the countries”
Aceng cautioned Ugandans to keep vigilant and report all cases of or symptoms that are similar to those of Ebola.